Friday, May 16, 2014

What We Talk About When We Talk About Travel Writing

I used to read quite a bit of travel writing. Once, years ago, after sailing from San Diego to Avalon and then back again, my travel companion, the ship's captain, handed over his ratty paperback of Paul Theroux’s The Old Patagonian Express and told me I needed to read it since it would inspire me to travel more. Skeptical about the value of travel writing—after all, you go somewhere, and either you die, in which case someone writes about you, or you come back and you get to be the storyteller—I humored my new friend and promised I’d give it a read. After all, I didn’t want to read about traveling, I just wanted to travel. Not sure the connection you’re trying to make there, friend…

I didn’t read it, not then or even soon afterward. I came across it again two years later as I dug through a closet looking for that windbreaker I wore that time I went sailing and that guy gave me a book to read, which I ignored and, oh there it is again. But this time, I not only read the back of the jacket but even made my way through the endorsement blurbs and a few sentences into the first chapter.
It actually looked appealing this time, probably because it was about Latin America, my new favorite place in all the world. Of course, it wasn’t Gabriel Garcia Marquez (I was a magical realist that week) or even John Reed (I thought I was a communist, too) but it was about Latin America.

Well, not really about Latin America, but going to Latin America. Or something to do with Latin America, at least. Then I read this line and recognized Theroux for what he was (and remains)—a poet and philosopher of the human condition who speaks travel the way Lou Reed once spoke heroin: “Travel is a vanishing act, a solitary trip down a pinched line of geography to oblivion." By the next page, Theroux was off and running, talking about the measliness of travel writing and the purposelessness of writing about it, and how these things drove him to do it differently, to do it backwards by ending his book where most travel books begin—at the far end of the journey. Well, now that’s an interesting way to view the world, I thought. Might make a nice approach to writing about travel writing someday.

So by now, it’s been many years since Paul Theroux introduced me to Bruce Chatwin, and Bruce introduced me to Peter Matthiessen, and Peter introduced me to all the rest of the party, many of whom I'll mention in coming weeks. As reading habits go, travel writing and British crime fiction constitute my list of go-to, not-sure-what-I’m-in-the-mood-to-read, sure things. It’s been awhile since I’ve read much travel narrative (there are lots of Inspector Rebus books, after all), but as a result of a class in the rhetoric of travel writing, I’m back in the travel writing mode—reading it and pondering who I’d be as a travel writer and answering questions that will make up the first few blog posts here. By the end of it all, I hope to be in Patagonia, or sailing to Avalon, or coming down from a U.S.A. World Cup 2014 victory (I also like fantasy sometimes) or somewhere else, not here necessarily. 

But blogging, always blogging.

Works Cited
Clark, Steve. "Introduction." Clark, Steve. Travel Writing and Empire: Postcolonial Theory in Transit. New York: Zed Books, 1999. 1-28. Print.
Clifford, James. "Traveling Cultures." Clifford, James. Routes: Travel and Translation in the Late Twentieth Century. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1997. 17-46. Print.

Rubies, Joan Pau. "Travel writing and ethnography." The Cambridge Companion to Travel Writing. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. 242-260. Print.

Next topic: Ethnography

8 comments:

  1. So, not only do I love your blog's background, Craig, but your passion for travel literature is infectious! I must confess to being a relative newcomer to this genre, but your enthusiasm is certainly an excellent recommendation! Do you have any suggestions for books a "noob" like me would enjoy? (I also love British crime fiction, if that helps - but not a sports fan, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Siegrin. There are so many places to start, but I'll make two recommendations. The first is "The Snow Leopard" by Peter Matthiessen (he travels to the Himalayas) and the second is Bruce Chatwin's "Songlines" (Australia). Both are examples of what I think makes the best travel writing--travel is secondary to the author's ideas. In both books, place is a catalyst to something that goes far beyond just a travel story. I also like to read anthologies of travel writing like the one I linked to above. There are many of those around and you're guaranteed to find one you like. Maybe the best way to find great travel writing is to choose a place you want to read about and then find out which authors have gone there and written about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a poor novice in my understanding of travel literature, Craig. A friend of mine, upon hearing that I was studying travel writing, insisted that I read Chatwin, with whom I had no familiarity. Time, that wicked thief, denies me the pleasure (for now), but I will add the books you recommended to my list.

    If I could write well, Craig, I hope that it would be as good as your writing - truly enjoyable! You have a seamless flow between the ideas you have and the narratives that explain them. Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Derrick. I've read your blog already and can say you have a great sense of style and purpose, so I consider that an achievement unlocked.

      Delete
  4. Craig,

    What wonderful first couple of posts. I feel you have set this up to be a continually intriguing blog. I feel that we have been able to get to know you a bit more and know your style (which I love). Your writing clearly shows your character. Not only that, you have experience in reading travel writing. I will be stealing your recommendation to Siegrin and keeping them for myself.

    Thank you for the insight, and the new list of "must read."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Craig,
    I think I'll travel with your blogs since it is so easy to be caught up in your images, stories and philosophical asides. What a beautiful fluid style of writing you have! I feel like I'm sitting in a river boat and being carried along with the current's flow, through eddies, a little white water turbulence, and deep pools. Thank you for the reading suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Teresa! Right about now, I'm feeling like the writing and reading is more turbulence than anything else. The questions we're getting are very hard to answer.

      Delete
  6. Hi Craig.
    So, The Old Patagonian Express was "that" book for you. I remember which book was "that" book for me. When I was in high school I became friends with a woman who had a world goods shop; she acquired art and knick knacks from around the globe. She handed me Richard Bach's Illusions of a Reluctant Messiah. Ironically it didn't make me think about the nuts and bolts of travel so much as how I'd love to get into the air. My father bought a tiny plane; and ultralight, in Canada. Hopefully when I get his age I can get one too.

    ReplyDelete